Sunday, July 18, 2010

It's very late here, and I miss my kids so much I could cry. I am having a cup of chamomile tea and thought I would say something about the weather, or really about the people. It is very rainy here, as we expected, but we keep being told that this is unusual for July, and one person said they couldn't remember it EVER being this rainy at this time of year. At any rate, the interesting thing is that everyone--waitresses, bartenders, grocery store clerks, shop keepers, people in bars--keeps apologizing to us about the rain. They feel somehow responsible for it, I guess. But the trick, we have found, is to simply work when it's raining ( a normal person might read or go to an indoor museum), and to go exploring as soon as the rain stops. Our hosts are very approving of this approach, and have said that the worst thing one can do is to sit indoors on a sunny day and plan to go somewhere on, say, Friday. It may be cold, rainy and blustery Friday. if it's nice today, do it! These might be words of advice for everywhere, come to think of it. I guess someone else said it already--seize the day.
I am hoping Donald will write about the museum of the Irish Revolution we went to in Cashel. It had lots of exhibit and an video playing that had real newsreel footage of the Easter Uprising and of the war--and of the following Civil War. Watching the real Black and Tans and Auxiliaries shooting at real IRA people and vice versa was very moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment